Live blog of tornado and severe weather outbreak on Sunday, 17 November 2013. Worst affected were several towns in central and southern Illinois and in central Indiana.
12:15pm Monday. USA Today reports the death toll as 6 in Illinois, and 2 in Michigan. I don't have details on the Michigan deaths. The report includes 1 minute 30 of tornado videos.
11:15am Monday. The Chicago Tribune has a good photo gallery of storm damage across the state of Illinois.
1120p. AP has a state by state brief overview.
1100p. Power outage totals in Michigan. Latest from DTE Energy is 200K without power in SE Michigan as of 10:15 pm, per Detroit Free Press. 180K Consumers Energy subscribers in Michigan without power at 10:00 pm, per Fox 17 News.
1045p. Details from Washington, IL, about 20 miles east of Peoria, IL.
- #WashingtonIL twitter feed
- Peoria Journal-Star: Tornado in Washington claims one life, injures dozens
- Chicago Tribune: Tornadoes, storms beat path of destruction
1035p. Updated Today's Storm Reports.
1030p. DTE Outage Map for Southeastern Michigan (excerpt from total). Lots of damage.
1025p. Tornado videos from 11/17/2013
- Roanoke, IL tornado video from Adam Lucio on Youtube
- Coal City, IL tornado video
- Gifford, IL tornado damage video from Brett Adair, Live Storms Media
- Washington, IL tornado video from Melodye Buckingham
- Washington, IL tornado damage video from Mike Brady, KDR Media
1015p. Running down the list of summaries for the afternoon. Wikipedia has a page, which is as good a start as an overview as anything, listing 7 confirmed deaths and 32 separate incidents with a maximum intensity of EF4.
- Wikipedia "November 17, 2013 tornado outbreak"
620p. Heading to Ignite Ann Arbor 8 in Ann Arbor, so I'm closing up this live blog for now. The storm was less intense in the Ann Arbor area than elsewhere, so other news sources will be better for current news.
615p. Photos coming out of the Kokomo, Indiana area show significant damage to a fire station there.
- Kokomo Tribune stories
600p. 150+ without power west of Briarwood Mall, Ann Arbor, per DTE Outage Map. Whole Foods Cranbrook Mall is closed because of power outage. (@WFMCranbrookAA).
545p. Multiple reports via twitter of power surges and dips in the Chelsea / Dexter / Ann Arbor / Ypsilanti area, nothing yet on the DTE Outage Map.
- DTE Outage Map from DTE Energy
525p. Live blog from NPR's "The Two Way" says the Weather Service has issued 109 tornado warnings today, depicted here.
515p. Severe Thunderstorm warning til 615p for Washtenaw County, MI: Washtenaw EOC via scanner #miwx.
510p update. Report of "NEW: At least 330k power outages across MO, IL, IN, MI, & KY" via @WCL_Shawn and #miwx. AP reports 2 dead in New Minden, IL, in the southern part of the state. WXYZ: Severe storm warning for Livingston Co. until 5:45pm via #7FirstAlert.
- #miwx, Twitter stream of weather news, via tchat.io
- 2 dead in New Minden, IL
- #7FirstAlert, twitter feed from WXYZ Ch 7 Detroit
500p update. WLNS is streaming live coverage of Lansing, MI weather. WLIW has a live blog of damage across the state of Indiana.
450p update. The Washtenaw County SKYWARN net is active. No traffic to report yet. Now monitoring Washtenaw County public safety.
- Washtenaw County SKYWARN, 15 listeners on Broadcastify; no audio yet.
- Washtenaw County public safety, Broadcastify
430p update. Tornado on the ground in Knox County, Indiana, with reports of home damage per Broadcastify.
- Knox County Indiana public safety, 1335 listeners on Broadcastify
...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY...
AT 357 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED STRONG THUNDERSTORMS ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 50 MILES WEST OF FOWLERVILLE TO 49 MILES WEST OF MANCHESTER...MOVING EAST AT 65 MPH. WINDS UP TO 60 MPH...HEAVY DOWNPOURS...ARE POSSIBLE WITH THESE STORMS.
THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR... MANCHESTER AND GREGORY AT 440 PM EST... FOWLERVILLE AND CHELSEA AT 445 PM EST... OAK GROVE AND PINCKNEY AT 450 PM EST... WHITMORE LAKE AND SALINE AT 455 PM EST... HARTLAND AND ANN ARBOR AT 500 PM EST... GUSTY WINDS MAY CAUSE BRANCHES TO BE BLOWN DOWN...AND LOOSE OBJECTS TO BLOW AROUND. SEEK SHELTER IN A STURDY STRUCTURE UNTIL THESE STORMS HAVE PASSED.
3:55 p.m. Updated Wundermap for 3:55 p.m. I'll be watching Indiana weather next since it seems to be coming our way.
3:10 p.m. Tornado warnings in SE Newaygo County, Michigan, N of Grand Rapids. New Public Severe Weather map from NWS puts highest risk in Indiana.
2:54 p.m. EST Special weather statement -
...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY...
AT 243 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED STRONG THUNDERSTORMS ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 6 MILES SOUTHWEST OF CHELSEA TO 7 MILES SOUTHEAST OF MANCHESTER...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 65 MPH. WINDS UP TO 50 MPH...ARE POSSIBLE WITH THESE STORMS.
THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR... * CHELSEA BY 250 PM EST... * MILAN AND SALINE BY 255 PM EST... * WILLIS AND YPSILANTI BY 300 PM EST... * DIXBORO BY 305 PM EST... * SALEM BY 310 PM EST...
GUSTY WINDS MAY CAUSE SMALL BRANCHES TO BE BLOWN DOWN...AND LOOSE OBJECTS TO BLOW AROUND. SEEK SHELTER IN A STURDY STRUCTURE UNTIL THESE STORMS HAVE PASSED.
2:51 p.m. Switching focus from Illinois to western Michigan. Severe thunderstorms off of Lake Michigan are hitting the western part of the state. Reports of 62 mile gust at Muskegon, trees down there. Update with latest Wundermap.
2:45 p.m. Some channels from Broadcastify that have severe weather and public service information, looking now at the Broadcastify top channels.
- Central Indiana SKYWARN 496 listeners. W9ICE 146.970 MHz covers 39 counties
- Northeast Illinois SKYWARN 195 listeners. WA9VGI 442.900 MHz
- Tazewell County, IL 1895 listeners. Severe storm damage to #WashingtonIL.
- Illinois Statewide Emergency Management and ISP Live Audio Feed. 718 listeners.
- Grundy County, IL 576 listeners.
2:30 p.m. EST Wundermap snapshot.
2:15 p.m. EST Updated NWS Mesoscale Discussion 2018
SUMMARY...WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS AND SEVERAL TORNADOES...SOME OF WHICH SHOULD BE SIGNIFICANT...WILL EVOLVE FROM IL INTO IND AND LOWER MI THROUGH MID-AFTERNOON.
2:00 p.m. EST Reports from the Illinois statewide scanner include news that cell service coverage is down in some areas. Some sources for power outage maps:
1:45 p.m. EST Other live blogs/channels of weather:
- The Weather Channel live blog
- Chicago Sun-Times live blog
- #WashingtonIL Washington, Illinois severely damaged via tchat.io/Twitter
- Soldier Field being evacuated (Chicago Bears game). #Bears
- Television: WGN-TV Chicago
Image from Twitter, @ChrisKhoury182 and credit to @AnthonyKhoury20 , from Washington, Tazewell County, Illinois, near Peoria.
1:30 p.m. EST: Weather map showing location of outbreak:
1:15 p.m. EST: Monitoring the following:
- #miwx Michigan weather on Twitter via tchat.io
- #ilwx Illinois weather on Twitter via tchat.io
- #backchannel WXYZ Detroit Ch 7 on Twitter via tchat.io
- Illinois Statewide Emergency Management and ISP Live Audio Feed via Broadcastify