A downtown rental house caught fire on the evening of Friday, January 25, 2013. Initial reports did not include any mention of injuries, and two dogs were reported rescued.
Damn Arbor: Huge fire!
AnnArbor.com: Fire breaks out at apartment house in downtown Ann Arbor; pets saved; Saturday 1/26/2013 update Ann Arbor fire aftermath: 'I'm so grateful' about dog rescue and resident safety
Michigan Daily: Fire breaks out at house near ISR. "AnnArbor.com reporter Ryan Stanton lives in the house and his dog, Stan, was one of those saved by the fire fighters."
Ann Arbor Journal: ANN ARBOR: Firefighters rescue 2 dogs from house fire, 8 residents displaced. Extensive quotes from Battalion Chief Randy Menard.
Washtenaw County Red Cross, via Facebook: "Five volunteers from the Washtenaw-Lenawee County Chapter of the American Red Cross responded to an apartment fire in the 400 block of South Division Street in Ann Arbor Friday night, and assisted four individuals with food, clothing and lodging. Volunteers also provided canteen service (beverages and snacks) to approximately ten first responders at the scene."
The building is at 401 S Division St. City records show that rental permit CR072626 had expired for the dwelling as of 6/1/2012, so it was being rented without a permit. This from the city "eTrakit" system. The property is marked in eTrakit is noted as been managed by Old Town Realty. This listing shows that a 1 BR unit is asking $1010 for September 2013 occupancy.
Thanks to @johnnn, @msdrdata, and @damnarbor for updates, and for @trevorstaples for the first alert that something was going on. At the time he alerted me I was walking past his classroom.