I met with Eli and the team at the AADL about the 2008 Library Camp to be held March 20 in Ann Arbor. (NOTE THE DATE - GOT IT WRONG THE FIRST TIME).
Continuing the tradition from 2006, there are some small amounts of conflicts with religious holidays - March 20 is Maundy Thursday, it's the Thursday before Easter and the Friday before Purim. I'm hoping that won't cause undue hardship for people who have break around that time, but with all of the other travel and new branch schedules that's what worked out.
The 2006 Library Camp had people coming mostly from within about 100 miles; given normal travel and time budgets I'm hoping we'll get a slightly wider draw, at least enough to make sure that someone can come from the Chicago area, someone makes it in from Indiana and Ohio and Ontario, and the odd person who might go further afield.
A history of other library camps (or similar) that have been done before:
- February 2006 - code4lib 2006, Corvallis OR
- April 2006 - Library Camp in Ann Arbor, MI
- September 2006 - Library Camp East in Darien, CT
- February 2007 - code4lib 2007, Athens GA
- March 2007 - L2 Unconference, Australia
- August 2007 - Library Camp NYC, Baruch College
- August 2007 - Library2.0 on the Loose, Australia
- February 2008 - code4lib 2008, Portland OR
- March 2008 - Library Camp 2008 in Ann Arbor, MI
There is of course a checklist of things to do, links to add, a wiki to find or co-opt for our purposes, local arrangements to arrange, assembling the right mix of librarians and non-librarians to make the day interesting etc.
We have space for about 100 people, up from the 40 or so that squeezed into the first Library Camp.
More details as they appear, looking forward to seeing you there!